On behalf of the Board of Directors of the Helena Modjeska Art and Culture Club in Los Angeles, I'm delighted to invite Club Members and Guests to a fascinating spectacle about a silent film star, Pola Negri. The play, written by the eminent playwright and director, Kazimierz Braun, follows Pola Negri's career and presents its highlights, with film excerpts. This rare treat will be in Polish; with Agata Pilitowska as Pola Negri and Maria Nowotarska. The silent-film era costumes will delight the audience, as will the sultry and passionate portrayal of the famous actress.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS IN THE FALL 2012
In the fall 2012 season the following events are planned:
- 30 September - Teatr Polski from Toronto "Pola Negri" - Magicopolis, Santa Monica (the same day as the closure of the 405 freeway)
- 13 October - Barbara Krafftowna receives the Modjeska Prize, she confirmed her attendance, the event is for club members only and VIP guests
- 14 October - Paderewski Lecture, Polish Music Center (our Club donates annually $500), free
- 24 November - tour of the Modjeska House and Estate, Arden, OC and a picnic in the park; the tour at 10 am (first group of 45), and at 1 pm. (second group if neded)
- 2 December - Teatr Polski from Poland, Anna Seniuk with P. Malecka (viola) "Wieczor w Teatrze Wielkim"- $20 members, $35 guests
- 15 December - Holiday Party and Caroling in the home of Mrs. and Mr Chmielewski in Pasadena, free to members only
- 31 December - New Year's Eve Party, Long Beach Petroleum Club, DJ - Richard (as during our last New Year's Eve and the Anniversary Ball), $120 per person
Newly Elected Board of Directors of the Modjeska Club for 2012-2014
Maja Trochimczyk, President
Elzbieta Kanski, Vice President
Danuta Zuchowski, Treasurer
Leela Chmielewski, Secretary
During the meeting new bylaws were approved and Barbara Krafftowna was voted as the next recipient of the Modjeska Prize.
Pictures from the General Electoral Meeting are at: Modjeska Club Elections 2012 Picasa Web Album. Links to other albums are on the right margin.